Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Not Assignments to Fulfill, but Promises to Trust

As I awoke earlier this morning and spent my first hour of this new day in counsel with Him, He gave me a list of promises (sort of like Benjamin's in Mosiah 4:12-16). Not assignments to fulfill, but promises He was offering me--if I would look to Him and put all my faith IN HIM, and have hope IN HIM and love Him first above all others, then I would be empowered through His grace to do things that I could never do on my own.

You see, without God, I am nothing. Or in other words, I am such a mystic/spiritually minded, spiritually oriented person. What those words mean to me is that I can't survive in this world without giving absolutely TOP priority to the spiritual dimension of life. If I don't look to God to live, I slide into such sorrow and despair over all that is going on in this world today. I don't know how anyone else is surviving, considering the way virtually all earthly sources of security are failing or threatening to fail at any minute. To me there is no hope but in my personal communion with God--both my Father and my Savior.

I prayed to my Father for the Gift of the Holy Ghost--expressing that it was THE one gift that I desired more than any earthly thing this morning, and almost in an instant the words (thoughts) of peace and comfort and counsel from "my Jesus" (see 2 Nephi 33:6) began to come to my mind and that hope and peace that makes no sense (that “passeth understanding"–Philipians 4:7) under the present circumstances--started to flow into my soul. I felt my body and my mind relax at the sound of the Master's voice, the touch of the Master's hand. And I rejoice to declare with Paul:

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? . . . For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35, 38-39)

No comments:

Post a Comment